Monday, June 4, 2012

WATCHING TV IN KABUL

WATCHING TV IN KABUL

By Kristin Ohlson

New York Times Magazine,

July 20, 2008

This woman on TV was crying. Her lover’s car had plunged to the bottom of a river, where he was shown dreamily reliving scenes from his past. Then she was laughing and dancing on a mountaintop and kissing him, because he was miraculously restored. Or something like that. The show wasn’t in English, the only language I understand. I wasn’t sure if it was a Bollywood movie or one of the Indian soap operas that are so popular in Afghanistan — and that are now under attack by conservatives who say they’re anti-Islamic. Actually, I didn’t pay that much attention at first. I was trying to be polite to my two companions, one of whom was telling me some story or other in the magnificently gestured language he’d developed for foreigners who didn’t speak Dari.

http://www.newageislam.com/watching-tv-in-kabul/islamic-society/d/267


No comments:

Post a Comment