Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Syria’s Entire Health Care System Is In A Shambles


My father had dementia. He also had Parkinson’s disease. He died a week after the Parkinson’s pills arrived, their having taken 5,000 miles and two weeks to get to Syria. I am not sure that the lack of medicine is what caused his death, but it might as well have.
Up until eight years ago, my father was a practicing pharmacist in Homs, Syria. During the war, his pharmacy was destroyed, as was the town centre. My father and his wife were forced to stay mostly at home for almost two years to avoid the shelling, fighting and gunfire between the Syrian government and the rebels. They would sneak out only for basic necessities. I tried to persuade them to return to the U.S., but they kept hoping that the conflict would pass. My father’s forgetfulness began after he was essentially trapped in his home, and it worsened over time. I believe this was because of the stress of the war, the lack of social interaction and the lack of basic life necessities. The symptoms of Parkinson’s disease started a few years after the forgetfulness began. Read More https://newageislam.com/current-affairs/sammar-atassi/syria%E2%80%99s-entire-health-care-system-is-in-a-shambles/d/121096

No comments:

Post a Comment