Tuesday, June 6, 2023

When Humanity Overwhelms Religiosity

By Sumit Paul, New Age Islam 6 June 2023 "There's no religion greater than humanity." “I break fasts, I observe them when I want Rituals and faith are things I often ignore You may call this a blasphemer's rant This is humanity, this is every faith's core" Omar Khayyam, translated by William Cowper "Na Darkaar-E-Namaz Hai Na Bandish-e-Sajda Zaroori Hai Ke Insaan, Insan Ke Kaam Aaye Sada” Nashtar 'Nishapuri’ (Namaz is not obligatory, nor is any binding to genuflect/ What's most important is the humans to connect) "Emperor Akbar issued an edict stating categorically that his non-Muslim subjects don't have to follow the (religious) rules of the emperor's faith." Abul Fazal, Aine-Akbari 'Life is a narration of the goodness of people/ They come and go leaving behind many a happy ripple.' English poet Andrew Marvel's beautiful lines sum up the goodness of many known and unknown people, who leave behind the footprints of their noble deeds. This was not an incident but a constant experience when I was in Iran. I was in a boarding school in Khorasan and my father was forever on the move. I didn't have any siblings or relatives. So, during vacation, especially during the month of Ramzan (Iranians never say Ramadan/ Ramadan Karim), most of the inmates at the boarding preferred to go home to observe Roza and school would also declare a vacation so that the children could be with their parents in the holy month. Since Iran is predominantly a Shia country, its religious rules are slightly relaxed than those of Iraq or any other Sunni country. My stay at the boarding during Ramzan was never an issue for the management and the warden. I was the only non-Muslim student there and was quite young. During Ramzan, a Muslim is not supposed to eat during the day time and he/she breaks the fast (Roza) only in the evening. Yet, never did I face any problem and have to live sans food during the daytime. The school management as well as the relatives of some inmates would always bring fresh vegetarian food for me despite their roza. I spent seven years in that Iranian boarding school and never experienced any problem regarding food during the month of Ramzan. Moreover, no one ever even remotely suggested that I should eat meat or egg as I've been a vegetarian since childhood. Hostel management always prepared clean vegetarian food for me till I left the place for London for higher studies. I remember the goodness of those people with tears in my eyes. We still have angels amidst us. At the same time, I must say that the Iran of my childhood has undergone a sea-change in all respects. This pains me no end. But then, decadence is an existential reality of our times. ---- A regular columnist for New Age Islam, Sumit Paul is a researcher in comparative religions, with special reference to Islam. He has contributed articles to the world's premier publications in several languages including Persian. URL: https://newageislam.com/spiritual-meditations/humanity-religiosity/d/129929 New Age Islam, Islam Online, Islamic Website, African Muslim News, Arab World News, South Asia News, Indian Muslim News, World Muslim News, Women in Islam, Islamic Feminism, Arab Women, Women In Arab, Islamophobia in America, Muslim Women in West, Islam Women and Feminism

No comments:

Post a Comment