Monday, October 3, 2011

Islam and Spiritualism
03 Oct 2011, NewAgeIslam.Com
'Drunken' School of Sufism: Intoxicated with Divine Love

By Sadia Dehlvi

Bayazid's mother had a deep impact on him and he remained devoted to her. He would recall how she sent him to school to study the Quran. When he read the chapter which emphasises thankfulness and obedience to parents, the young boy asked for permission to go home. He told his mother that since Allah had asked to serve both Him and her, he could not do both saying, 'Either you ask for me from God, so that I may be yours entirely, or apprentice me to God, so that I may dwell wholly with Him.' His mother replied, 'My son, I resign you to God, and exempt you from your duty to me, go and be God's. After his mother resigned him to God, Abu Yazid left Bistam, wandering from land to land for 30 years, disciplining himself with continuous vigil and hunger. He sought the tutelage of over a hundred Sufis, the revered Imam Jafar Sadiq among them. --Sadia Dehlvi

http://newageislam.com/NewAgeIslamIslamAndSpiritualism_1.aspx?ArticleID=5612


No comments:

Post a Comment